After I initially assembled the new legs onto the chassis, I realized I had the geometry slightly off and there was some interference through part of the shoulder rotation. I made up new printed parts and replaced everything in front of the camera. Thus, watch some high speed robot surgery:
The quad A1’s first job is to validate the new moteus controller in the quadrupedal configuration, after which I’ll use it as the primary development platform to get all my gait work done.
To build a second demonstration quadruped and to generate some development kits, I’ve built up a set of 20 of the mk2 servo. The production process is working out fairly well, in fact slightly better than I had predicted for overall cycle time. The servos so far are coming out great, moving smoothly with full power.
I’m planning on building up a set of mk2 servos to test them on a quadruped and make some development kits. As of now, I’ve got all the materials in house for the build and many things partially assembled!
As mentioned previously, I’m releasing moteus controller development kits to a few lucky beta testers. Building these wasn’t too hard, but was my first foray into low-volume production for someone who wasn’t myself. Here are a few pictures of the build:
A big thanks to all the beta testers! With the next revision of the controller, I’ll continue to have a development kit with roughly the same properties for those wishing to get started in an easy way.
If you have devkit envy, you can get a little fix watching this video showing how to set it up and use it.
Some time ago I put in orders for all the long lead time items on a second version of the moteus servo. This is primarily aimed at improving the manufacturability and reliability, along with some minor performance improvements. I’ve now got at least samples of all the long lead time parts in house!
Coming up soon I’ll post a more detailed design update on the servo.
To switch to the full rotation gear design, I needed to get all my gearbox motors, some bearings, and a lot of other bits and pieces disassembled and ready for re-use.
Taking everything apart took a surprising amount of time, nearly a full day. Each leg resulted in quite a collection of fasteners. Seeing them all in one place made me realize how complex this has become!
I’ve also got the full set of parts printed for the full rotation legs:
Now I just need to get to assembling and reworking to get them all installed!