quad A1 leg updates

When I first designed the full rotation leg, I didn’t fully appreciate the importance of torque in the knee joint.  Despite the fact that my first force based IK showed that when the legs are immediately under the body, the knee joint carries the entire load of the robot, I still managed to not add any reduction there.

The initial design used a 1:1 ratio, because that allowed me to use the same single piece 3d printed gear design I had used before.  A 28 tooth gear with 5mm pitch resulted in a gear that was larger than the output plate on the qdd100 servo, so it could just be bolted directly on.  To work with a smaller number of teeth, I had to split the gear into two parts, connected by pins, as the gear is now smaller than the qdd100 output plate.

20200415_old_knee_upper_pulley_28
The old knee pulley
20200415_new_knee_upper_pulley_18
And the new one

So that I could use the same belts, I extended the upper leg about 8mm, and while I was at it, extended the lower leg by 15mm to make the overall leg a bit more symmetric.

20200415_new_leg

We’ll see shortly how this works out when printed and assembled.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s