After having produced the first functional demonstration of the moteus servo mk2, my next step was to decrease the weight. While I was at it, I made two other changes:
- Axial connections: I switched to a design with entirely axial connectors, which removes the need for 4th axis machining when producing the parts.
- Planet Input Bearing: I switched the planet input bearing to be inserted from the rotor side. This way, the bearing is captured between the planet input and the rotor, rather than between the planet input and the gears. That also improves the ability to assemble and disassemble the unit.
Slimming down the housings drops around 100g from the total weight. I may still try to take out some weight from the planet input and output, but they don’t weigh much to begin with so the potential gains there are small.
Next up I’ll manufacture and assemble this, then get it running.