Removing BE8108 stator

After separating the rotor from the stator, next I needed to remove the stator from the aluminum backplate that holds it into place on the rotor assembly.  It looked like the assembly was at least pressed in, but given that there were no fasteners, it wasn’t clear if it had adhesive, or if perhaps it was a shrink fit.

First, I tried heating up the assembly with a hot air gun, hoping that any adhesive would loosen up and possibly the stator itself would expand or break free.  No dice.

Next, I tried using some PB blast off, followed by letting it sit overnight in the freezer, hoping that the aluminum would shrink more than the steel stator.  Some hobby RC motor rewinders had used that technique on various motors successfully before.  No dice.

Finally, I broke down and at Ben’s suggestion used a hack saw to just cut through the back housing, being careful not to go more than a scrape into the stator.  Then with liberal application of force from a pair of heavy duty pliers, I was able to rip the back housing free of the stator.

Stator hack sawed most of the way
Stator hack sawed most of the way
Beginning to pry the back off
Beginning to pry the back off
Most of the backing liberated
Most of the backing liberated
All free!
All free!

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s